A Little Something Extra

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Consistency...

… is not what we’re looking for here. But that’s what we’re getting. Micah still has very little in the way of rumblings in his bowels. The amount of drainage from his tummy remains consistent. So there’s still nothing moving through his bowels. It’s been 10 days since his surgery and I had hoped we would be able to start feeding him this weekend. No such luck. Please continue to pray that his bowels would start working.

But the good news… because he’s been able to maintain his own body temperature, Micah has been given a crib rather than a warmer.

And the best news of the week is that Nathan, Grammie, Pop, and Oma were able to visit yesterday. It did my heart good to see them. Nathan was fairly well-behaved while they were here. I joked with Bill before they left, “How many senior citizens does it take to corral a two-year-old?” It was very hard for Nathan to keep his mask on, so we all wore them. Nathan gave Micah a sweet little lovey. Micah gave Nathan an over-sized stuffed Elmo.

Today I was able to give Micah a sponge bath. He was none too pleased about being stripped down and he let us know. But he didn’t mind getting his hair washed by the end of it. Then I was able to snuggle him close before we put him back in his crib. It’s called “Kangaroo Care” and it’s used frequently with preemies in the NICU for skin-to-skin contact. Micah found this fascinating to start with. Then he fell into such a deep sleep for over an hour that he began to snore!
I'm having issues posting photos from the hospital, apparently due to some sort of bandwidth restriction. I'm not sure how to get around this problem, but I'll try to do it from Mark's computer with his wireless card when he's here this weekend.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Yay, so glad you got to see the rest of your family and to bond with Micah!

Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark and Jennie-

Congrats on the birth of Micah - he is so precious!! I sent you a private message on Downsyn.com, but I'm not sure if you received it. We live in Milwaukee and also have a son with a little something extra. We would be happy to offer any support that we can during your stay in Milwaukee.

tasha said...

HI Congrats on your son!!!! He is so gorgeous. I hope he gets better really soon and you all can go on to the next chapter in this story. I am still waiting for the birth of our daughter. We had a fluid reduction on Wednesday but the test showed that her lungs are not mature yet so we will continue to wait unless I go into labor. I am so happy for you guys that your son is doing so great. I look forward to seeing more pics of your beautiful baby.

ATLKrafts said...

Glad you got to see Nathan-- I wouldn't have even thought for a "gift exchange" between brothers-- what a cute idea! It was Micah's birthday after all!