A Little Something Extra

Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 for 21 Day 13: Inclusion clarification

When I posted last week about inclusion and mainstreaming, etc., I did not mean to imply that I am not a proponent of full inclusion.  I love the full inclusion model.  What I *meant* to communicate is that I do not believe that it is the best thing for every child.

Micah is in full inclusion preschool.  I expect full inclusion to work for him for many years.  If it works for him for the rest of his education, then that would be GREAT!  But I'm also okay with him being pulled out if that is the BEST decision for Micah's education.

I learned some valuable tips from PACER, an advocacy center here in MN.  One of the best workshops I attended was about IEP's (Individualized Education Program... this is what is created every year for a child with a disability to set goals and accommodations for that child's education... the school must follow the IEP).  The parents leading this particular seminar talked about the importance of the correct order for the creation of the IEP.

1. Evaluations
2. Needs
3. Services
4. Placement

Too many people (parents and educators alike) focus on the placement first (i.e. full inclusion) rather than the other pieces.  I think IEP's warrant their own blog post, so look for that in the future.

[Today is the 4-year anniversary of my first blog post.] :-)

2 comments:

my family said...

very well said I will fight for full inclusion unless there is a time it is too overwhelming for William. It is different for every child

thanks for your fb comment

happy blog-o-versary

Kelli said...

Have been enjoying your posts...been very educational for even me...a mommy who has one with DS! Went back and read your first post...happy anniversary ;)