A Little Something Extra

Monday, June 29, 2009

Not Me Monday



I've been reading some friends' Not Me Monday posts for a while now and I've decided to throw my hat in the ring. This blog carnival was started by "MckMama" at My Charming Kids.

I did not get too involved in a conversation that resulted in me not watching my first-born long enough to completely miss an “incident” on a playset (that incident most certainly did not involve him peeing off the side of said playset, but I digress…). And I certainly would not punish my child for something I didn’t witness. I mean, that’s not “fair,” right? And the punishment for said incident absolutely would not have been one whole week without videos. That’s madness, right? I mean, this punishment is supposed to be worse for him than for me. What mother of 3 small children during a week with rain possibilities would consider withdrawing movie privileges? And besides, my child does not watch too many movies anyway, because that would be complete parental laziness.

And since today is our anniversary, I should probably mention that I most certainly would not wait until the night before our anniversary to buy my husband a card (or two or four). I’ve had a year to buy a card, right? Why would anyone wait until the last minute for such an important purchase that requires much thought and contemplation of exactly the right words the card should contain? (I love you, honey… thanks for seven wonderful, insane years)

With Mark on a business trip last week, I did not get lazy with meal preparation for my first-born. There’s nothing really wrong with three bologna and cheese sandwiches in three days, right? I really do care about what goes into his stomach (though the thought of those three sandwiches makes me cringe as I type this).

I did not take Micah to church yesterday without glasses or shoes. We spent good money on those glasses (and the shoes too, but there was only one to be found in the 10 minutes seconds I spent looking for them) and I care too much about his eyesight to let him go hours without them.


I wash bottles, syringes, extension tubing, etc., at least once a day, so I certainly have not gone a whole week without washing nasal syringes (aka booger-suckers). So it really shouldn’t matter that I did not use Matthew’s syringe on Micah’s nose.

And for the somewhat serious finale, I have definitely not stressed at all about Mark’s employer’s current round of layoffs because I “do not worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34)

9 comments:

TheAtticGirl said...

That Matt. quote is something I need to remind myself of daily; I can totally relate to your posts!

Happy not me Monday!

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/not-me-monday-pools-cake-ghost-to-boot.html

Heidi said...

Great post! I know what you mean about revoking videos as a consequence. As soon as the words are out of my mouth I realize it is going to be a punishment for me too!

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Oh dear!! You do have a lot on your plate, but you also have a good perspective. Good luck!!

Your boys are just beautiful!! I have 3 boys, too- 6 1/2, 8, and 9, and I'm still alive to tell about it; we even adopted a baby girl last year :)

Andy and Katie said...

Wonderful post, Jennie....I'm with you...I have NOT worried about the KC situation...not ME! LOL!

Happy Anniversary to you and Mark!

Katie

Jessica said...

lol about the booger suckers! Not me Mondays are fun, what a cute post.

ATLKrafts said...

hilarious!

Foursons said...

Great 1st entry into NMM! I did not tell my husband today, "Oh good! You're going out of town so I don't have to cook dinner tonight!" Even though I still have 4 kids at home I did NOT say or think this.

Mindy said...

Great job! Way to get into the spirit of things. I'm glad you did NMM! :)

Anna said...

I need to go read more about this "not me!" Monday! It seems very liberating to say the least.