It appears we were making the right decision by not giving Micah oxygen if he didn't need it (i.e., if he had desats, which he doesn't often have). According to his cardiologist, with his left-to-right shunt, his lungs are getting quite enough oxygen, thank you very much. Not all heart defects are the same. And not all babies are the same. As his nurse said today, oxygen is a drug and needs to be managed accordingly. [to the person who posted a comment anonymously, though I appreciate your concern for Micah, I really don't appreciate you passing judgment and suggesting that I might have caused his setback... and in the future, when criticizing someone, you might consider using a positive sandwich... but thanks for commenting].
Micah's cardiologist came by again today. She had expected to see his heart rate drop with the meds, but it hasn't yet. And his respritory rate has gone up (not so good) and she can now hear his heart murmer (which is supposedly a good thing, but I don't understand that part). But Micah's weight has gone up today (7lbs 9oz) and he's taken a bit more from the bottle. If he has a stellar night tonight, we might be able to avoid the g-tube, but it appears we're headed back to Milwaukee. The neonatologist is going to contact the surgical team tomorrow to see where they could fit Micah in the schedule. If we're definitely headed to the g-tube, I'd just assume get it scheduled sooner rather than later. But I think his cardiologist wants to get him regulated on these meds first. Oh, and he's up to 24 calorie formula being added to the breastmilk. They don't want to tax his system by increasing the volume so they're fortifying the volume he currently gets. The hospital is out of the 24cal. Wonder how hard it's going to be for us to find it. And there's a possibility they'll increase that to 27cal. Yikes.
On a more pleasant note, Micah had a good snuggle with Granddad today:
And Oma was there on Sunday:
Great New Study Bible for Kids!
3 weeks ago