A Little Something Extra

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Going home Friday

The discharge process has begun and we will be taking Micah home on Friday. Yes, home home. Not to another NICU. I did all of his g-tube care and feedings today, along with giving him his medication this afternoon. Tomorrow we'll do the car seat study (he has to spend 2 hours in his car seat to make sure he doesn't desat, etc.). I haven't decided whether I'm going to "room in" with him on Thursday night. They're leaving it up to me, but the neonatologist said that if I wanted one more night of sleep to feel free to take it. :-)

Micah actually did pretty well with his oral feeding today. Over his 3 mid-day feedings he took about 80 cc's orally. Not bad. He probably would have taken more but I stopped his last one because he was breathing too hard. When he gets to that point, he's probably burning more calories than he's getting.

I'm so excited to get on with our next phase. But it involves so much more than when we brought Nathan home from the hospital. Home health will be coming in twice a week to weigh Micah and check our supplies. Micah is on three medications for his heart. There will be speech therapists and physical therapists visiting Micah at the house (and eventually occupational therapists). There will be visits to the cardiologist. There will be visits to the surgeon for follow-up. Feeding him is a bit more involved than feeding a "normal" baby. And nevermind the fact that he has a button on his belly with a flip top that opens directly into his stomach. Whew, that makes me overwhelmed to put it all down in print. But it's a good reminder that God's grace is enough: He will provide me with the strength I need for each day (and hour and minute). "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." (Matthew 6:34)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, Hooray for going home!!! We love our home nurse, maybe you'll have the same one!?

I know how overwhelming it was going home with Karly & her line & IV fluids & extra medications - but after a couple days it does get a routine & rhythm. I hope it's that way for you, too - finding a nice rhythm. AND - sleeping in your own bed can't hurt!

Please let me know if you need anything! It would be a good excuse for me to get out of the house, too :)

ATLKrafts said...

We are so happy you are going home. I agree with the above post-- you of anyone will have it down to a "science" very soon! Plus, now you have a little helper with you all the time! I am excited for that relationship to be developing....

Laurie said...

Even with all the extras...going home will do everyone such good.

Can't wait til you get there and can start the process of truly becoming a family of four :)

Melanie said...

We are so happy you will finally be home! We would love to come visit when you get into a good routine and are completely settled in.

Beth said...

Hoorah for Micah getting to go home!! Micah is lucky to have such an amazing family!! I will be thinking and praying for you as you bring Micah home!
Beth

Emilie said...

We are so glad you'll finally have your family all together at home! We'll pray that the transition home is smooth.

Andrea Marcks said...

I am so glad you are able to bring him home! To be home in your OWN house, among your OWN things! That's so wonderful!!!!!!