- His immune system will be strong (many individuals with DS are more prone to infections)
- He will not have a heart defect (40% of children born with DS have a heart defect)
- He will not have any hearing loss (40-75%)
- He will not have epilepsy (5-10%)
- He will not have hypothyroidism (5%)
- He will not have opthalmic disorders, i.e. cataracts, glaucoma, etc. (60%)
- He will not develop autism (10%)... side note: this is the scariest to me because the others don't affect how he could learn.
- He will be high-functioning
- He will have good muscle tone
His ability to learn, grow, and communicate are most important to us. So please pray that we would find the right therapists to work with him.
One of these days I'll be able to say, "My son has Down syndrome" without crying. But I'm not there yet. So please pray for us too.