A Little Something Extra

Monday, December 24, 2007

It's good...

... to be at home for Christmas. There were a number of hours on Christmas Eve that I didn't think that was going to happen. Dr. L drained 1.5 liters of fluid Monday (quick way to drop 3 pounds!). Surprise, surprise, I was having contractions afterwards. Then she got the results of my FFN (fetal fibronectin) and it came back positive so she checked me into L&D (again). If it was just one or the other, then she probably would have let me go home. No such luck. A shot of Terbutaline was only effective for about an hour. I was contracting every 5 minutes.

I think my last nurse must have pleaded my case well with the on-call doctor because they let me go home around 4:00pm (my appt with Dr. L started at 8:30am) even though I was still contracting every 5 minutes. But really, it shouldn't have surprised anyone. I had the following procedures done yesterday morning: a pap (for the FFN), a vaginal ultrasound to check the length of my cervix, a needle stuck in my uterus for 1.5 hours for the amnio reduction, and a vaginal exam to make sure I wasn't dilated. Seriously... how much abuse can one uterus take?

The FFN being positive was not a good sign. A negative result means you will not go into labor in the next 2 weeks (barring unforeseen circumstances). The positive result I got yesterday means that I'm at higher risk for going into labor in the next 2 weeks. Baby really needs to bake for 3 more weeks (I'm 33 weeks now).


Christmas stuff: Nathan was beside himself excited about the train set and table his Granddad Roth gave him. He ran into the family room and immediately started playing with it and jumping up and down with glee. He didn't even glance at the other presents under the tree. And he'll usually open any and every gift he sees. But it was all about the trains. If I can figure out how to download a video, I'll add it here later. Unfortunately, the first video is rather short because I didn't think to check ahead of time to see how much room was left on the tape. So we only got about 10 seconds before I had to change tapes. Bummer.

Here's the view before anyone else made it downstairs:

I pray you all had a blessed Christmas!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

We're so, so thankful that you made it home!

Merry Christmas from our whole family!