The reality of what Micah went through in April hits me sometimes like a brick. Today was one of those days. A friend on Facebook posted a link to an article about a boy named James in Albany NY who is in the hospital recovering from septic shock. This little 3yr old boy has had a leg and an arm amputated. His kidneys still aren't working. And he has brain damage. He's been in the hospital for 7 weeks. He has months of inpatient rehab in front of him when he's stable enough to be discharged from the hospital.
When Micah was at Children's last week for his CT scan, the nurse who pre-op'd him was remarking about how amazing it is that Micah looks so great after going through his Toxic Shock experience last month told me of a boy she knows who lost all four limbs to Toxic Shock.
So who am I to complain about Micah's eating regressing about a year? Or that we're still dealing with an issue around his g-tube site? We're blessed to have him HOME and ALIVE.
(On a separate note, I've been wondering if Micah's pesky extra chromosome helped save his life through his Toxic Shock experience. Kids with Down syndrome have a higher survival rate when facing leukemia. Any chance it helped him combat a toxic infection?)
Not to say that life has been a cake walk since he came home. Honestly, I'm tired. I am in desperate need of a major vent. But I find it difficult to vent right now because I feel guilty. There are so many others in more challenging situations than mine. We're all home... together. And I'm not sitting here worrying about my husband's safety in Afghanistan or Iraq. There are many out there who are. And there are many others who have lost loved ones in the military, both recently and long ago. So this weekend, in particular, I'd like to just simply say, "Thank you," to those families.
And I ask that you would please pray for the Deere family in Albany NY.
(If you're wondering about Micah's CT scan results... so am I. There's some sort of thickening on one side, but it doesn't appear to be a major abscess. Micah's GI doc wants him to see an Infectious Disease doc. We'd like to avoid needing to move his g-tube site, which would be a surgery and another war wound on his belly. And given all of the g-tube concerns, I'm postponing the sleep study until July... or August.)
1 month ago