A Little Something Extra

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Buddy Walk

We're planning to go to Green Bay on September 6th to walk in the annual Buddy Walk for Down syndrome awareness. We're really looking forward to meeting Erin and seeing Micah's friends, Logan and Ruby.

We've chosen to dedicate funds raised to DSFN (Down Syndrome Family Network, through the ARC - Fox Cities), our local networking group. It's been a great way for us to meet other local families who have children with Down syndrome. And they provide information to local hospitals to give to families whose babies receive a pre-natal or neonatal diagnosis of Down syndrome. The information I received when we heard about Micah's diagnosis was very helpful. I'd love to add a book called Gifts to all the packets. Micah is most definitely a gift and we hope that other families will understand that more clearly through his life.

If you'd like to donate to the cause, please click the link in the top left of this page. If you live locally and would like to walk with us, drop me an email. Thanks for your support!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI JENNIE-THIS IS MY FIRST COMMENT AT YOUR BLOGSITE, BUT I HAVE VISITED PERIODICALLY...WYATT MY MAIN MAN, RESIDES HERE IN HILBERT AND WE WALKED THE BUDDY WALK IN 2006 AND PLAN AGAIN FOR THIS YEAR TOO. I WAS ALWAYS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT ALL PLEDGES GENERATED BY THE WALKERS HAD TO GO TO ASPIRO...I LOVE THE IDEA OF EARMARKING PROCEEDS TO ASSIST THE ARC...THEY ARE FINE FOLKS OVER THERE...I AM WONDERING IF PERHAPS SOME OF MY PLEDGE DOLLARS COULD GO TO THE APPLETON YMCA-THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT TO INCLUDE WYATT INTO THE PRE-K CLASSES WITH OPEN ARMS..THANKS FOR A GREAT IDEA..JAYNE

Melanie said...

Can't wait to walk with you!!

Melanie said...

It is a great idea to include the book Gifts! I love it and actually gave away my copy, but now have another one.
If you would like, I would love to help you purchase the books for the new parent packets.
My original copy was given to me by a family with a son with DS when we decided to meet up a couple of months after Logan was born. The booked made me feel so much better, but I could have used it right after Logan was born.

Anonymous said...

Jennie: As you know, I work at a hospital and agree with you 100% that the book GIFTS should be added to the information packet. I have not had great success yet but continue to try. I do leave my copy in the NICU so when parents come in with the suprise diagnosis they have it and they do say that it gave them a lot of hope. Good for you to network!