A Little Something Extra

Saturday, March 1, 2008

First night

First night at home, and can you believe that Micah slept through the night? No, you shouldn't believe it, because it's far from the truth.

We arrived home around 4:00 yesterday afternoon, just in time to feed Micah. He took the whole bottle orally, and proceeded to do the same at 7:00. Did we just need to go home? Did we really not need the g-tube? That question was answered later, as he was screaming louder than I've ever heard and was inconsolable for his 10:00 feeding, as well as his 1:00am feeding (I'm thinking he's constipated, because he hasn't had a messy diaper for 24 hours, and he usually has 4-5 per day). We opted to let him sleep through his 4:00am feeding because he had surely burned too much energy with the screaming sessions. He woke up at 5:30am (so, he slept from 2am-5:30am... not bad). I woke him up to feed him at 8:00am in a sorry attempt to get him back "on schedule." After changing his diaper and his clothes and trying to wake him up, I ended up giving him the whole bottle through his g-tube because he just wanted to keep sleeping. And he's still asleep (at 10:15am), though in the swing.

There's some major organization to do. We need to set up some "feeding stations" for Micah. He doesn't have a pump with his tube, which makes him more portable, but I need to hang some droppers in various locations so that I can feed him without a huge ordeal.

I think Nathan is happy to have him here. He even brought Micah his pacifier this morning.


Beth said...

I am so glad that the first night went well!!! How sweet of Nathan to look out for his little brother - he'll be a great big brother (already is, I'm sure)!!!

Michelle said...

Oh how nice to all be home! Finally! And so sweet of Nathan, helping!

I hope you settle into a nice routine soon.

ATLKrafts said...

I love hearing about Nathan helping-- he certainly knows what to do with a crying baby!

Anonymous said...

Welcome HOME and hang in there...it takes awhile to get into the new routine but it will come! Danielle (and Jim and Julia and big sister Helena)

marcksandrea said...

HOME AT LAST!!!!! What a relief to at least be in your own house. That must be comforting at least. Glad the first night wasn't too bad - every night will hopefully get easier and easier. If you are ever at the end of your rope and need some rest, please call me. I will help out in anyway that I can. It sounds like you are going to have to try and remember to take care of yourself too. Rest when you can and don't worry about housework or anything else like that it will all work out. Take care and I'm thinking of you, Andrea

Martha said...

We're glad to hear that Micah and all of you are home now. Tell Grandma Marge, Hello. Louie and Martha

Melanie said...

I can't seem to find your email address. Could you email me or post on our blog. I would like to find a time to stop and see you.